Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Rothbury Music Festival « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 615
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister is trying to convince me to go see Dylan here, I'm considering it. I'm not familiar with most of the bands performing. Anyone want to shed some light on who's who?

http://www.rothburyfestival.co m/festival/artists.php

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 775
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The links on that page give pretty good descriptions. Many of those bands are considered "jam bands" (in the tradition of the Good Ol' Grateful Dead, who are co-headlining as "The Dead").
There's also reggae, bluegrass, blues-rock, electonica, acoustic, hybrids of all of the above, and Les Claypool!

You should go, even if you haven't heard of some of the bands. We went to Gathering of The Vibes, a similarly styled music festival, back in 2007 and had a great time--although we didn't get much sleep!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 480
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ralph Stanley's great bluegrass and you can't beat Dylan, Willie and Ani

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 189
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alsodave pretty much nailed it. I went last year and plan on camping there the year. It's a great time, so much more than just the music going on.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Girl Talk is pretty...um...Interesting..

Qweek

Post Number: 616
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never been to a music festival before, would Dylan play a full concert set or is it a quick four songs or so and he's done? I'm leaning towards going to this thing, take my 17 year old son along, I'm sure he'd love it. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7930
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Qweek.
You owe yourself this.

Just do it! Show your son Moms can be hip too.

Qweek

Post Number: 617
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, why not, sounds like a blast the more I look at it. My one and only child is going to be a senior next year and after that I'll hardly see him and wish I had taken him to this thing. Time is slipping away and I don't want any regrets. I usually take him camping just the two of us over the summer, we leave the husband and dogs home and go rough it for a week, this sounds a little more exciting, for both of us. Years ago I took him to a Dylan concert and he has been tangled up in Bob ever since (he takes after me). Now, I just need to win the lottery to pay for this party.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Norwalk. Dylan, Ralph Stanley, Ani Defranco and Willie Nelson. I seen Willie last summer and he was as good as ever. Need to see Willie every chance I can now, he sure is gettin on in years. He recently canceled some shows due to health. I pray he's ok. Willie is scheduled for May 17 at the Downtown Hoedown.

I would really like to see Steppin' in It. A cool band from Lansing who perform a lot of "roots" kinda music. awesome stuff.

Should be a great festival, many different styles of music. The most diverse lineup I've ever seen. You should go.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am having trouble understanding the ticket set up. If you buy the weekend camping package for one, does that get you into all the shows? They have a separate ticket amount as well but I couldn't find anywhere what the ticket covers.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 776
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, it gets you into all of the shows. Of course, with so many bands, there are different stages so you might have to split time between sets.

Depending on you level of comfort "roughing it", you can just pitch a tent, or go for the higher end VIP tickets.

I'd really like to go this year, but I'm taking in two Dead shows in April, and want to fly out to LA for a week in November. Of course, I could sell grilled cheese sammiches and veggie burritos from now until then to finance the "trips"... :-)

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there last year, and it was fantastic! Do yourself the favor and attend if your schedule allows it!

Can't wait to see Flogging Molly outside! Along with Willie, Damien, and Ralph Stanley. It would be cool to see Ralph jam out with Yonder Mountain String Band. Kind of a old school meets next genereation in Bluegrass!

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willie Nelson will be at the Hoedown this year for folks that wanna see him but can't afford Rothbury.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.