Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » What Is Your Life's Purpose? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9102
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am waking from the second best weekend of my young life, after the Next Step seminar from the www.ChallengeDay.org folks...and wish to report to y'all the refreshing pleasure of renewing an awareness of my life direction and purpose.

I intend on working with this group in the city, helping to bring their Circle of Change ideals to fruit in combination with the Urban Agriculture movement and the Bohemian National Home's functions, as well as starting or supporting groups for Adult Asperger's Syndromers and also Adult Survivors of the Foster Care System as well as working with the best Homeless Human outreach I can find.

If anyone is tickled by this inspiration, please check out www.ChallengeDay.org to see if their words touch you in any positive way...and let's get to work doing better for society.

Sincerely in love, John

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Challenge Day? Is this the outfit that runs encounter groups in schools? There was a big controversy about it in Seattle a couple years ago.

quote:

In one article Yvonne St. John-Dutra, a Challenge Day founder, states that its first program was offered as a 14-hour “marathon” Saturday workshop in Livermore, California. She says, “Within a few months it became clear that hosting our 14-hour program on Saturdays would not allow us to reach the youth who needed us most. Again it was Ann and Diane who gave us the opportunity to try our first six-hour Challenge Day on school grounds during a school day (our current model). Whether they were simply very wise women or angels on a special mission from God, their faith in our work helped to plant the seeds of a movement that has become much larger than we had ever imagined.”

This nonsense is no more appropriate in a public school than a group prayer lead by the low Protestants from Greater Grace.

http://www.cultnews.com/?p=220 1

Gannon

Post Number: 9108
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much direct experience do you have with them, Benfield?

From where is your authority to call it nonsense?

Or does it merely not make sense to YOU?!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 985
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my lifes purpose is to get rid of garbage.I am being serious on this one.Didn't watch the links yet , But I will still end up cleaning up.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Reddog. I spend a huge percentage of my life cleaning up various messes, garbage and otherwise. I live by the scout motto leave the place better than how it was found.

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My lifes purpose is anything last years Miss America said at the pagent...ha ha

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and such

Gannon

Post Number: 9110
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog and Skylark might be onto the zen of the whole thing.

It is all about getting rid of the accumulation of trash in our lives, some physical...others deeper in our psyches.

Funny, I've been studying my Feng Shui texts on the way to planning a new living/working space...and most of what THEY talk of is clearing clutter and letting it all flow!

Harmony...the inevitable result of taking out all that trash! Allowed me to finally get on with a few projects I've not been able to face.

Plus, the depth of experience with everyone I meet, and the renewal of relationships with those I'm inspired to reach out towards from my relationships...is quite pleasurable.

The look on the face of the line cook...who artfully made my omelet yesterday...when I went out of my way to thank him was precious!

We'll see how long it lasts. Heh. I AM Merely Human, after all.

Just one who wishes to return to better habits.

Easy as that.

Cheers!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pay taxes and insurance premiums (just in case)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My life's purpose? I have no idea.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our purpose should be to please God. But all too often it is to please ourselves.

Gannon

Post Number: 9113
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny that, Old-d, I used to think those were extremes...and opposites.

Then I got to wondering about ALL those taste buds, scentors, touches, and the wonderful but limited range of harmonic sounds and rainbow of colors built into the mere human perceptual machine...and the pure hedonist in me wants to fully justify enjoying creation (in moderation, of course), and is curious how such pleasure could be far away from pleasing to our Maker...if said Being is in and with us.

The Mystic Hedonist's conundrum!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3145
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trying to combine mysticism with hedonism should, pretty much, turn everything in life into conundrums.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Our purpose should be to please God

What if you're not religious? What should your purpose be then, and who should you try to please?

Ravine

Post Number: 3149
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheddar, fer chrissakes, get a clue.
If you're not religious, your purpose should be to please those who are.
I'm becoming very tired of having to explain alla this kinda shit to you.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chedder: Sorry I can't help you with that one. You could to ask God. He always likes to hear from non-religious folks.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe your statement should have said,
"My purpose should be to please God."

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chedder: As you wish. But if you ever change your mind, He's always available.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Thanks, I've never been offered salvation before, I really appreciate it. People offering their views on their religion is kind of new. I've never known anyone to have the false assumption that their religion is the only viable theological philosophy and that anybody that doesn't believe the same thing should get with the program. You're really on the cutting edge of something there, olddetroiter.

You should really get that message out. You know, the one where everyone's life purpose should be to please god. Maybe go door to door. You should make sure that you're dressed up, though. Maybe some slacks with a white button down shirt and a tie because people will be more inclined to invite you into their home and listen to your wild and implausible fantasies if you're dressed nice.

Hell, I'm already converted. Thanks olddetroiter, just because you said that everyone's purpose in life should be to please god, that's what I'm going to do. Who's with me? We could start a DetroitYesers for christ club and the only requirement is that you need to spend your life pleasing god.

What pleases god? I'm not sure, but we'll figure it out. Maybe olddetroiter can tell us what pleases god, he seems to have all the answers. Along with a holier than thou attitude and a rock solid philosophy of faith that everyone else should have, too.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9662
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What pleases god?

We could go reclaim the holy land!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5136
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this video will change your mind Chedd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =JvjGIkl2yDY

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7916
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =66pTPWg_wUw

Would a coke bottle falling from the sky change your mind?

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam,

Pure gold!!!

:-)

Ravine

Post Number: 3154
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is terribly vain of folks to believe that they know what pleases God.
We may (or may not) be the most intelligent life form on the planet, but I think we're still too simple-minded to be walking around believing that we know stuff like that.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Chedds: I sort of get the feeling that we may not always agree on everything. C’est la vie. Yes, I believe in the God of the bible. You don't have to agree with me, but I’m guessing you value diversity so maybe you shouldn’t object to people having opinions that may differ from your own. Gotta go now. I need to get my white shirts, ties and black slacks from the cleaners before they close. Peace.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Olddetroiter, I guess you still don't see why it is wrong to say, "Our purpose should be to please God". If that is your purpose, great. Nobody is going to fault you for it. C'est la vie, indeed. Nobody is objecting to how should feel for yourself.

But what I will object to is your egotistical and selfish assumption that everyone should share your belief in what "our purpose" should be. Do you understand what I'm getting at? Just in case you don't, I'll spell it out one more time:

If you believe your purpose in life is to serve god then good for you. I have never said what you should be doing and frankly, I couldn't give two shits less. You on the other hand have taken it upon yourself to decree what I, and everyone else should be doing, which earns you a grade of F(U).

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and Pam...my favorite was the jesus in excrement.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5138
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...my favorite was the jesus in excrement.

I thought you would like the "Cheesus" the best.

Gannon

Post Number: 9115
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Challenge Day has been working with high schools for twenty years and that is the best you could come up with against them?!

Scoreboards don't lie, for certain, when the game is played on a field with defined statistics.

What you claim is nothing of the sort. We know nothing of what moved the statistics around those dates. That data does not make any score at all.

Shame you are so hardened on this, sounds like you really need some help.

Cheers all...especially bitter Benfield.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We know nothing of what moved the statistics around those dates.

Probably the international Jewish banking community, right? Or is it the Illuminati? I forget. 12/7 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My purpose in life? hmmm

Keeping breweries in business?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.