Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Need Picture Alteration Help « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know how to convert low res pictures into high res? Is it possible to improve the resolution? Or do I need to take the picture all over again? Thanks!

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm not an expert but i remember having this same problem. thought i was a smart cookie when i first got a digital camera and changed the resolution so i could take lots of pictures. lol
well, they were a bunch of junk and i couldn't improve them. i was told that you can only reduce, not increase. boo

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can easily go from large to small but small to large wont really improve your image.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6790
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the raw data is low resolution there's no way you could make it high resolution without introducing errors. If the raw data is high resolution and only being rendered as low resolution, you might be able to alter the way it's rendered to display the full recorded resolution.

An example of the latter is how some YouTube videos can now be displayed in a higher resolution by appending "&fmt=18" to their URLs. It doesn't increase the resolution of the raw data. It just allows the full resolution of the raw data to be displayed.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irfanview imaging freeware has a variety of resampling filters that will enlarge an image and attempt to keep the appearance quality. The larger image is higher resolution only in the sense that it has larger dimensions than the original.

Here are examples of an original image (170 x 197 pixels) and the doubled resampled version of it (340 x 394 pixels) that I made with Irfanview:

original

doubled

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9609
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Short answer: No, for all intents and purposes you cannot make something low res into something high res.

Long answer: Low res and high res are not technical terms of any sort. It's all about the dimension of the picture vs. the resolution. A 900 x 900 pixel image at 72dpi has roughly the same amount of information as a 300 x 300 pixel image at 300 dpi. That's why when you print images off the Web, they look bad. Your screen displays at around 72dpi, but you need 300 dpi to look clear on paper.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to everyone for the help! I appreciate it!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.