Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Ribbon Farm Historical Research « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to find some specific information on an original farm in the city. Private Claim No. 726 (a ribbon farm in what is now the western edge of Corktown) was issued to Zacharie Cicot (aka Cicotte) on April 1 1750, according to Silas Farmer's "History of Detroit and Wayne County". That farm was later sold to Peter Godfroy.

How can I find out who exactly issued private claim number 726, and under what terms? Were local natives compensated for the land, or did France simply claim the whole region as theirs? Did Zacharie Cicot own Indian slaves? How much did Cicot's descendants sell the farm to Peter Godfroy for?

Would the Burton Historical Collection have the resources to answer these questions? Or might you know someone who already researched this particular farm?

4oranges
Username: 4oranges

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burton is a huge resource, and the research librarians are usually quite helpful. Walter P Reuther library at Wayne State also very plentiful with the Detroit history info.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this link to the General Land Office records. Angelique Cicot was issued a certificate #726 on 7/10/1811 for a parcel of land of 96.68 acres. Are these the people you are looking for? The link below will take you to the GLO website. Type in Cicot in the name box it will take you to a list of patents. Links will show on the 2nd page that a Zachariah Cicot was a child of Angelique. The patent that has Zachariah's name was also in the name of all the following:
ANGELIQUE CICOT,
ZACHARIAH CICOT,
JOSEPH CICOT,
BATISTE CICOT,
JACQUES CICOT,
FRANCOIS CICOT,
AGATHE CICOT,
MARIE CICOT,
CATHARINE CICOT,
SUSAN CICOT,
THERESA CICOT

Land Patent Search

Also Burton's The City of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922 lists the transaction that you mention as being between a Pierre Godfroy and Joseph Cicot, November 5th 1819. the book is a helpful scorecard.

The City of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922

(Message edited by stosh on March 03, 2009)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2442
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great site Stosh, it's good to have it back, it was taken down a few years ago when certain First Nation people objected to the entire premise of selling stolen lands.

Psewick, a quick google search reveals a bunch of info on your family. I'm sure you've checked them out, but I must say, you have an impressive bunch of dead relatives.

Have you been able to find their final resting places? From my brief search, it looks like the Cicots were an important part of St. Anne's history.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found Zacharie's Son buried in Mt. Elliott, it states Zacharie was the 2nd white male born in Detroit.

http://www.mtelliott.com/MtEll iott_History.pdf

It appears there were several books where he is mentioned, you may find your answer on Google.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stosh, Thank you very much for the links--I should be able to get a lot of information there. I will look more closely when I'm...heh...not at work....

Gnome, these actually aren't my dead relatives. My family has only been in the city for about a century (all Polish laborers, no French nobility). I'm just researching the history of my house, and I'm getting a little carried away in tracing back previous owners of the land. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.