Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Civil Marriage in Metro Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriend and I would like to get married in Metro Detroit sometime this summer, in a civil ceremony. We would also like a MI marriage license. I am looking for advice on how to do this.

I assumed it would be an easy and straightforward process (I live in NYC, and here anyone on earth can just go to the court, pay a fee, and get married), but I am finding roadblocks in metro Detroit.

We first wanted to get married in Oakland County Court, but the website explains that only County residents are allowed to have Civil Marriages.

We would need to find the District Court that corresponds to our residence, but we are not Oakland County residents (though my parents live in Bloomfield Township, which is why we started looking in Oakland County).

I checked the Macomb County website, and they have the same rules as Oakland. You can only get married in the District Court that corresponds to your community.

For Wayne County, the rules may be different; it's hard to tell because the website is so confusing. From what I can gather, nonresidents may be able to be married through the Wayne County Clerk's office downtown, but it isn't clear how, or what requirements.

Could anyone shed light on this process? Can a non-resident get married in a civil ceremony in metro Detroit?

Thanks so much for the advice!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9492
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cheapflights.com/fl ights-to-las-vegas/la-guardia/

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I know about Vegas (and I can do it in New York, of course), but I wanted my parents present, and then my bride-to-be and I just go up north to a cottage for a few days.

We actually are not counting the civil ceremony as the "real marriage", because we are getting married in a Catholic church ceremony in Mexico later in the year.

She's a Mexican citizen, and so we're doing the civil ceremony earlier, so we can expedite her citizenship and because the civil ceremony process in Mexico is insane (required AIDS tests in dirty clinics, bribery of officials in order to send marriage papers to U.S., etc.).

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford: I believe that what is true in Oakland County is true throughout the state. I know for sure that you have to go to a local doctor and go through AIDS/STD counseling...or at least my hubby and I had to back in 2000...and we had both been married before and were over 40. You have to be a resident and there is a waiting period between application and getting the license, if I recall.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you looked at the requirements to marry a Mexican woman in Mexico? Last time I looked it was a pretty draconian process. All sorts of paperwork including statements from your employer that you can support her.

I was looking at Genesee County marriage licenses and it wasn't that big of a deal. Basically just pay the fee.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We would also like a MI marriage license. I am looking for advice on how to do this."

I believe you have to be a resident of MI in order to obtain a MI marriage license.

Try calling The Little Wedding Chapel, I'll bet they can answer your questions.

http://www.thelittleweddingcha pel.com/index.html

I found the following on their website. Hope this helps. Oh and, congratulations!

"What do you need to get married in the State of Michigan?

On the day of the wedding we require that a valid marriage license be presented to the minister performing the ceremony. To obtain a marriage license one must produce a certified birth certificate written in English and a valid photo i.d. to the county in which one of the parties resides. There is a three-day waiting period and the license remains valid for thirty-three days from the day you apply."

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5939
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter and her husband live in Colorado, and when they wanted to get married here, all they had to do was produce valid birth certificates. Sarah was born here, but was not a resident. Chris ran into a couple problems because he was born in Canada to an American mom and Canadian dad, and the hospital he was born in had burnt down etc, etc, but eventually his cert was found, and they got a license, hired an officiant from the internet and were wed in Port Huron

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 660
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always heard of people going to toledo to get married the day of.

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents went to Toledo to elope. That was 60 years ago though.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1975 Detroit. Had to take a blood test. That is when my wife knew I loved her.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Married in Church, though.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a strip mall wedding chapel do a small ceremony.

You can get the license without being a resident; you just can't have them perform a civil ceremony.

When both applicants live out of state, application must be made in the county in which the marriage will take place.

Applicants must wait three days from the day of application before picking up the license.

http://www.macombcountymi.gov/ clerksoffice/MarriageRecords.h tm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.