Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Campground Suggestion Wanted « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friends and I typically go find a campground up north for our annual Memorial Weekend camping trip. However this year we are thinking of keeping it a little more local. Does anybody have any suggestions/recomendations for a campground (State or private owned) that's within 3 hours of Detroit? I tried Bay City State Park, but it's already booked.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Brighton Rec Area. Not sure what type of camping you are doing (tent, RV, etc) but they have all kinds from rustic to squished-in-to-your neighbor. They also have cabins for rent, may be good for a big group. Pinckney Rec Area has a yurt for rent. In Oakland County, Addison Oaks and Groveland Oaks have campgrounds but they are first-come, first-served. Hide-Away Campground in Linden (9401 Gould Rd, 48451) is a nice place. My parents were there last year and it's real quiet.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 714
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's close to 3 hours, but I've always liked Old Orchard Park on the AuSable. If you want to stay really close Proud Lake and Highland Recreation areas both have camping facilities. There are also canoe rentals available on the Huron River just a few minutes from Proud Lake.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on February 25, 2009)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4044
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to do mine around Ortonville and Metamora/Hadley State parks. But those were shut down. Your best bet is drive an extra hour past Bay City, up to the Huron National Forest sites up on the Au Sable. The sites are really spread out for privacy. No electric/water though.

Otherwise, down here, you're thrown in with the "Mega" RV's within spittin' distance of you're campfire.
I always camp rustic.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pinery Provincial Park near Grand Bend, Ontario has a great campground.

Check out
http://www.pinerypark.on.ca/

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Camp Dearborn Family Camp in Milford just south of the Highland Recreation area. Went there as a boy scout many years ago. Cabins were nice.

http://www.campdearborn.com/

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wheatley is a good one that is less that an hour from the bridge. We usually go here if the Pinery is booked.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/en glish/whea.html

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Algonac State Park. Small. Close to the water. Good bakeries and food close at hand.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9489
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 3 hours away:

http://www.michigandnr.com/Par ksandTrails/Details.aspx?id=47 8&type=SPRK

Higgins Lake State Park. Higgins lake is one of the clearest lakes, you can see right through it.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9490
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Located in Roscommon County, Michigan, Higgins Lake is reputed to be the sixth most beautiful lake in the world according to National Geographic Magazine. Approximately one million people visit Higgins Lake each year.

http://www.higginslake.info/

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

holly recreation area was one of my favorites growing up.

in high school we used to go to proud lake, which i don't remember as being too bad. i've also heard good things about highland recreation area.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 455
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Port Crescent State Park outside of Port Austin in just over 2 hours away at the tip of the Thumb. They have sights right on the water but reserve early.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For something different, you could check out Point Pelee. You get there via a ferry from Sandusky. There are other little islands out in Lake Erie that also allow camping, but Point Pelee has a pretty relaxed vibe to it.
http://www.pelee.com/

Here's a link to the Ohio DNR for US islands:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/par ks/lakeerie/tabid/753/Default. aspx

Kelleys Island has a bit of a Key West party vibe:
http://www.kelleysisland.com/
http://www.kelleysislandferry. com/

The whole getting to an island gives an added dimension to the camping experience and it cuts down on the number of trailer people.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many years ago we camped at a park whose name escapes me...but I remember we took I-75 to Dixie Highway...turned right (Iguess that's east)and drove a few miles. Groveland Oaks, maybe? The old brain just isn't working. But it was a very nice campground.

If you really like roughing it, there is some state land a few miles west of Tawas City that we used to camp on..no water, no electric...but really quiet! All I remember about that is you have to drive way back in the woods on a dirt road that winds through the land. But my ex-hubby loved it because he could target practice with his guns and no one bothered us. If you really want more info on this, let me know and I will ask my son if he remembers more details.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4050
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds like the Federal Forest Service campsites I mentioned above, on the Au Sable. You register at the Lumberman's Monument, East of M-65. I just would plink beer cans with pellet guns though.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all are making me homesick. Old Orchard, the Ausauble, Lumbermans Monument, Tawas. Our family cottage is in National City (by Hale, Sand Lake) spent summers there for years. I had a chance last August to go to the cottage. I didn't make it in to Tawas. I did the Iargo Springs trek and the Monument. I really enjoyed myself and wish I had more time to spend up there.
I appreciate it more now than when I was a kid who was dragged for weeks at a time out of Detroit to be in the middle of nowhere with just siblings and cousins. We had fun though. Lots of time spent at Old Orchard. Y'all enjoy it all.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 492
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane...my current hubby's parents live near Hale.

Bigb...no this is further north, I think. I don't remember being by any water. We never registered anywhere, just drove in and pitched a tent. Of course, that's not to say that my ex wasn't circumventing the law...he did that now and then.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4054
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the view from the Lumbermans Monument. I use this one as wallpaper on my cellphone.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blueidone, What a small world. And it's really small up there still. Think back 40-45 years ago.

Bigb23 That is such a stunning view and the trees are changing colors. I don't see that here. Their little history center had some really interesting information.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Port Crescent State Park outside of Port Austin in just over 2 hours away at the tip of the Thumb. They have sights right on the water but reserve early."

I second Port Crescent, use to go there every summer as a kid.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Port Crescent State Park outside of Port Austin in just over 2 hours away at the tip of the Thumb. They have sights right on the water but reserve early."

I second Port Crescent, use to go there every summer as a kid.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sleeper State Park in Caseville is nice, and right across from the beach.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4056
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The big consideration here is, when you go camping with a bunch of friends on a holiday weekend, how late do you plan to party/talk/laugh ? Kids coming along ?
At crowded State Parks, it's usually 11PM, when neighbors start to complain about any noise. Thats why secluded forest sites are best.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to go camping at a place called Double R Ranch. It had horseback riding, canoeing, tubing, golf, and just about everything else. It was in Belding MI.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4091
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whispering Oaks.

Gds
Username: Gds

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm an avid RV'er and here are my rankings on SE MI parks:

1. Holly Recreation Area: A true "up north" camping experience with loops 3 and 4 "in the woods". Only downside is McGinnis lake is little more than a swamp but across the road there is Heron lake with swimming/boating/fishing.

2. Metamora-Hadley: The previous post stating this place is shutdown is not true. Or at least it wasn't last labor day and they took my reservation for Memorial Day this year. This is a nice place if you want a lakefront site. Kinda crowded but the south campground is well wooded and hilly.

3. Pontiac-Lake: Nice mix of sites from well wooded to open/out in the field types. Nice hilly terrain but over a mile from the actual lake.

4. Brighton Rec. Area: The "modern" campground at Bishop Lake is pretty much open and packed in but the rustic campground at Appleton Lake is nice with large sites. Never seen Murray lake but I assume its nice as well.

5. Proud Lake: Not really a great place as they pack you in like sardines. But I still go here for my annual "shakedown" run as its about 13 miles from my house!

6. Pinckney: I've driven through here. Looks ok, maybe a bit more of a wooded version of Brighton but I've read from multiple sources that for some reason this park attracts a negative element. Thefts, obnoxious people, drug abuse, etc. Can't validate these claims but again I've read from independent sources there are problems here.

All of these parks within an hour of Detroit (depending on traffic ;) ). There are essentially no parks in the 1 to 2 hour zone (other than private CGs...yuck) and then you get to either the west or north part of the state and there are several.

If you're looking for a Memorial Day stay you need to book soon as most of the popular parks are already full and the local ones are going to be packed as people are staying closer to home to save some gas money.

Hope this helps!

GDS

Bigb23

Post Number: 4096
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Twenty state forest campgrounds that were temporarily closed last year because of tight state budgets will be reopened for the 2008 camping season.

The Department of Natural Resources made the announcement Monday.

The move comes after state lawmakers restored half a million dollars to the department's recreation and trail program.

Michigan's 143 state forest campgrounds will open in mid-May. Opening times may vary by local weather conditions.

The campgrounds to be reopened are in the counties of Alpena, Antrim, Cheboygan, Chippewa, Crawford, Grand Traverse, Luce, Marquette, Oscoda, Otsego, Schoolcraft and Wexford.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jan. 22, 2009

Contacts: Ron Olson 517-335-4827 or Mary Dettloff 517-335-3014

Citizens Committee for Michigan State Parks to Meet Jan. 28 at the Foster Community Center in Lansing

The Citizens Committee for Michigan State Parks (CCMSP) will meet on Wednesday, Jan. 28, at the city of Lansing's Foster Community Center, located at 200 N. Foster, in Lansing.

The CCMSP subcommittees will have working sessions, beginning at 8:30 a.m. The Stewardship Subcommittee will review and discuss the 2009-2019 Strategic Plan for the Parks and Recreation Division.

The regular meeting of the committee will begin at 10, with a brief introduction by the chair and public comment. The committee then will receive an update from the Finance Subcommittee and continue its discussion regarding long-term sustainable funding for the state parks system.

The committee also will receive updates and reports on various parks and recreation programs; motor vehicle permits and camping reservations; performance indicators and financial reports; and various land, policy and legislative issues that affect the state parks and recreation system. The Stewardship Subcommittee will report on the 2009-2019 Strategic Plan for the Parks and Recreation Division and introduce a resolution in support of the plan.

The Citizens Committee for Michigan State Parks is an advisory group, created by Public Act 392 of 2004, to address issues concerning state parks and recreation areas, including planning for long-term sustainable funding.

For information about this meeting, persons needing accommodations to attend this meeting, or persons wishing to provide public comment on any state park-related issue, contact the DNR Parks and Recreation Division at (517) 335-4827 (TTY/TDD 711 Michigan Relay Center for the hearing impaired), or visit the CCMSP web site at www.michigan.gov/dnr. Individuals attending the meeting are requested to refrain from using heavily scented personal care products to enhance accessibility for everyone.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb, have you ever been to Whispering Oaks? Just wondering how I might recognize you...

Bigb23

Post Number: 4103
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, my girlfriend, (then) and I, spent a couple of long weekends there in the mid 80's. I also did Black's beach in San Diego in the 70's.

You gotta try it sometime.

Raptor56

Post Number: 787
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! To help clarify things, we camp in tents. fortunately or unfortunately, none of us can afford an RV yet. I personally prefer the rustic camping, but at least half of my friends like electricity and showers, so we tend to gravitate towards the more modern campsites.

I'm looking at Old Orchard Park, North Higgins Lake State Park, and Hoffmaster State Park. Whispering Oaks sounds interesting, but I'm not too sure all of the crew will enjoy the "scenery" :-p

Port Crescent is completely booked. Pontiac Lake, Proud Lake, and Holly are too close to home to be a vacation. I like camping in Canada, but I don't want to listen to friends bitching when they get their car serached at the border.

http://www.oldorchardparkcampg round.com/index.htm
http://www.michigandnr.com/Par ksandTrails/Details.aspx?id=47 8&type=SPRK
http://www.michigandnr.com/par ksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=45 7&type=SPRK

Raptor56

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a difference between South Higgins Lake State Park and North Higgins Lake State Park? i.e Is one better than the other?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The SW building of the Packard Plant Industrial Park was cool, and you can target practice without being disturbed.

Running water in the basement of the SE building.

And its free.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9517
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, North Higgins Lake State park does not allow fire pits, so I would go with South.

http://www.michigandnr.com/par ksandtrails/FeatureList.aspx?i d=496&type=SPRK

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some "local" info on the Higgins Lake parks. (My cabin is just south of the lake). If you want relative peace and quiet while sitting on a beach or while camping, the North park is for you. If you want a more rowdy atmoshphere, day and night, try the South park. A couple of years ago, 50 people were arrested at Higgins South during July 4th weekend. All under age, all drunk. It's almost a "jobbie nooner" atmosphere there some weekends. Events at the south park routinely make the TV news up there. If none of that bothers you or you like a little rowdiness, go for it. The park itself is beautiful.

Neversilent
Username: Neversilent

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to Huron National Forest absolutely amazing and camping there is great .. tons of stuff to do and see ... forests are always the best

Bigb23

Post Number: 4119
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I camped by myself, in the Huron National Forest by Sidtown years ago. I had these local rowdy's ruin my quiet weekend. They took the site right next to mine, as those were the only two on the water.
Three wanted to borrow my canoe for a while. Off they went, and an hour later, only two came back. When asked, they said a Sheriffs boat pulled up to them, and ran warrants. They arrested one guy on the spot.
Loud music, car kickers, bottle rockets, and no rangers around.

When they left, it took me two hours to clean up the litter and beer cans from their site, the lake, and the woods. That experience made me buy my first cell phone, to contact the authorities in the future.

Remote is the best.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too far from Huron National Forest is an enormous State Park known as Rifle River Recreation Area. Several lakes, and you can rent canoes for a trip down the river.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgins is white trash central. Beautifull lake though.
Sleeping Bear National Park is nice, more then 3 hours from Detroit though.

Raptor56

Post Number: 812
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Sleepy Bear Campground. It's a private campground about 10 minutes from the dunes that I have stayed at many times (including 2 out of the last 3 Memorial weekends).
http://www.sleepybearcamping.c om/

Despite the DNR's newly redesined and buggy as heck online reservation system, I just booked 4 sites at South Higgins Lake West Campground for Memorial Weekend. Looking forward to a stellar weekend of giving my liver a run for its money. Thank you all for your feedback and advice!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor56

Just in case you haven't been there in a while, the liquor store that burned down a few years ago across from the IGA was finally replaced with a shiny new one last summer. Hard liquor is once again available within walking distance of Higgins Lake South State Park!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.