Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Paging any Detroit's Finest Female Impersonators!!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Marielavoix
Username: Marielavoix

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A former Detroit "OLD SCHOOL" Late 70's Early 80's Drag Queen here! ~ Ms. Marie LaVoix ~ Was one of Mama Vonda Lee's girls - Performed with the best of the bests, Jennifer Foxx , Lee Sands, Whitney Blake, Fran Jeffries, Elaine St. Jacque, etc, etc @ Todd's Sway lounge, Bookies, Gold Coast, The Escape, Gigi's and many others! SHOUT OUT's being sought -Living in South Florida now & looking to chat!!

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Marielavoix. Share some stories.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, oh. Lowell, are you sure you want to open that box?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9028
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the point was they have no box.

What am I missing?!

Welcome, Mareilavoix.

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a pretty bow on that box.
Welcome Marielavoix!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marielavoix, did you know any members of the Jewel Box Revue?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 800
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marielavoix, I am doing research on queer spaces in Detroit, and I would love speak with you sometime. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you my email.

Marielavoix

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WELCOMES!
Good Gracious - The Jewel Box revue?!?!? - Now that's going BACK!! LOL - I wasn't involved with them, and can't remember any of the 'girls' off hand. But does anyone remember Bettye Clark? Sherene Dennis? Vanessa LaSalle? Torchy? Stephanie Powers? Hummin Helen? Those were most of the girls I knew & loved! We had GREAT times!

Marielavoix

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois - RE: queer spaces research issue - I've been away from Detroit since "80" so I really don't know that much about the 'spaces' anymore! You can give the email & I'll see if I can help with anything! :-)

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Marielavoix.

I haven't a thing to contribute to the subject matter, but I look forward to your reminiscences.

When I worked at Hudson's, I would assist various cross-dressers with their clothing selections. They never really needed my help--their taste was much better than my old grandma-style of dressing. ;-)

*hug*

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 801
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you'll be great. Because I have info on alot of the more recent stuff but pre 1980 is where I could use some more help.

piotrons@students.udmercy.edu

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Marielavoix---I had the pleasure of meeting Jennifer Foxx on numerous occasions when she performed at Footlights and The Former Railroad Crossing Now Rainbow Room. She was the nicest. I also saw her on the video Female Impersonators Pageant which was hosted by Lyle Waggoner and Ruth Buzzi and took place in Texas. I have performed myself twice at The Deck bar in Detroit with Hummin' Helen and Krystal Blaze. I am myself a woman who did a man doing a woman like Victor/Victoria. I had a blast. I used to go to a lot of the shows like at The Gas Station where Lady Tempest performed a lot, Tiffany's, Menjos, Backstreet, Gigi's and of course The Deck. I really enjoyed them a lot. I used to hit Heaven after the Gas Station and then the Eagle after hours on the weekends. I was the only woman they let into the Eagle. I've been to R&R, CTs, Happy Tap over in Windsor, Club 49, Stilettos, The Other Side, Off Broadway East and The Woodward. I miss the scene there. I clubbed from about 1988 till 1995.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know my mom was friends with "Amanda Collins" who did shows at The Deck.

Savoyard
Username: Savoyard

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I'm showing my age, but back around 1968-71 I remember a local impersonator named "Chile". Her favorite phrase was "I want to read her to death!" I have no idea what that meant, but I still remember it to this day. Don't remember the name of the place she performed, but I'm pretty sure it was downtown. Jog any memories??

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I want to read her to death!"

Are you sure you heard her correctly? Maybe she was saying "I want to breed her to death"?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.