Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Paging Dianeinaustin « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didnt want to threadjack with the Lucinda Williams thing.

The album you were talking about signed by Lucinda, was that Car Wheels? Is it the deluxe edition. I d/loaded the deluxe and found they had added some amazing live material including Pineola, Changed the locks, and Still I long for your kiss. All electric.

I did get to see her once on that tour in Ann Arbor. My sisters father in law is good friends with her Father. Small world.

Tell me about getting it signed.

Shes written about so many bad relationships I swear I must have dated her in my fuzzy past.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a vinyl lp of Happy Woman Blues produced in 1980. I lived next door in 1984 to her friends here in Austin. It was actually signed and given to my ex but I have it. (it is not dedicated to him, just signed.) I will have to look at it to see if it has more than her signature for sure.

In winter 84-85? my neighbor and I went to see Lucinda play at Liberty Lunch. It was just Lucinda, me and my friend and my first exposure to her. Other than a few staff I dont think anyone else showed just us 3 in a cold room. I don't think that I have seen her live since. Fuzzy past as well. :-)

Sweet Old World is a favorite of me and my daughter. I will ask her to look into the download you are talking about.

She has so many wonderful songs. Too bad not everyone has exposure to her music.

Enjoy your day.

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liberty Lunch, gone the way with the rest of Austin. Gotta love those condos though. Geesh!

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucinda is playing on Friday, KGSR is giving chances to win tickets. I'm going to try.

Dan, I guess you have been here then and now. I hate what the condos do to my taxes. Thanks Austin

Mopardan

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, been here since '85(originally from San Antonio) & seen how the city has lost its charm. Friends of ours talked about going to the Saxon Pub later this week to catch some live music. We'll see how far I get on my "honey do" list first.
I take it you live downtown? I'm way south almost in Hays County.

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2222 & Lamar - Brentwood neighborhood for 21 years. I moved here in 1978 and lived off 6th just east of Mopac initially.

I went to the Saxon last year to see Omar. Pay your $$ see a 90 (?) minute show then leave to make room for the next show. Different from the old days. Hope you get to go. Do your chores-I love the Robert Earl Keen song, It's the Little things.

"It's the note that you leave on the breakfast table
With a list of things to help me plan my day
It's the way you say we could have If you'd done the things you should have."

I am hoping to go the Johnny Cash Bash on the 27th at the Continental. Sounds like fun show.

Mopardan

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been years since I was last at the Continental Club. I hope we're able to make it to Saxon. We just haven't done much of anything for a long time when it comes to seeing live music. Kids & life seem to get in the way too often.

2222 & Lamar? I'm across the street at DPS HQ...been there since '95 after transferring from the Legislature. So you've got to witness the changes over the years as well. I just don't know where all these people are moving in from. I know a good deal are Californicators, but I'm seeing a lot of FL license plates these days.
About to run some errands now. Whee.

"The road goes on forever & the party never ends"

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 878
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any other Austinites other than Austinjohn and yours truly?

Mopardan: Close to Circle C?

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to threadjack, but:

Just watched The Unforeseen last night. What are your feelings on this documentary?

Mopardan

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarge: I'm on the east side of Mopac, Shady Hollow area. How about you? Also, why "Sarge" as your screen name?

Islandmand: I've heard about "The Unforeseen", but have never seen it. I know that Gary Bradley(The developer of Circle-C Ranch) is featured in it. What did you think of it?

Who eise is an Austinite here? Also, are any of y'all native Detroiters as well? I'm not, but I really enjoy listening to some of the stories of the city.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's a great story about a community standing up to developers. I was just wondering what people in that community thought about it, as well as the aftermath.

Sarge

Post Number: 879
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mopardan: Close by, in the Circle C area. I took the name Sarge because I first came to this forum many moons ago when I googled a thread about Detroit MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) recruits being housed at the Leland House hotel, which was my gateway to the USAF back in the 80's.

Islandman: I've been meaning to see The Unforeseen, but haven't gotten around to it. I was going to take my wife to see it, but a good friend said it would likely be grounds for divorce unless she had any interest in the issue. She doesn't. :-)

And yes, born and bred in Detroit, but later relocated to the suburbs and other states like many folks in the area.

Mopardan

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarge: I was active duty USAF from '84-'92. Ran into lots of Michiganites, esp from the UP. Were you stationed at Bergstrom by chance? They called it "The Base of No Return"...I was there for 7yrs! I'm in the Air Guard these days with less than a yr left for my 20. I'm a "Sarge" also.

Islandman: I have to say I'm not familiar with the movie & which community in particular you're referring to. Right now the populace in general is really getting fed up with the development, or should I say overdevelopment. As Diane & I mentioned in the earlier posts about the condos. One in particular, The Austonian, is an eyesore as far as I'm concerned. Plus nobody from here refers to themselves as an "Austonian". I'm not THAT sensitive, but hey, at least try to make an effort, ya know?

Sarge

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mopardan: I was stationed at Bergstrom, first in Civil Engineering and later in the Medical Squadron. I was there off and on from 91 until 95 or so. Small world!

Mopardan

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarge: I was in the Component Repair Squadron the entire time; I worked flightline mostly & some in the shop.
Drop me a line at Charger360Magnum at Yahoo dot Com sometime.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.