Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Detroit Area Homeless Assistance « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where I can get Shelter and other Homeless Assistance information for the Greater Detroit Area. In particular, I'm looking for information for Westland/Livonia. It's for a close friend who I/we unfortunately can't help out.

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call The United Way at 211. They can offer referrals and check availability sometimes.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close friend buit no couch camping for a few days? That's brisk, baby.

You can also try Latino Family Services. Although they focus on on Hispanics, they provide help and information for many people.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I googled, homeless shelters livonia michigan, and got this:

Wayne County Family Center
30600 Michigan Ave
Westland, MI 48186
(734) 721-0590

It even showed a map. Took about 5 seconds.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 688
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Show up at the Caputian Monastary. They have an obligation to help the homeless. We have a friend which we supported for two years, his friends and relatives did the same for similar lengths of time. His options ran out so we took him to the Caputians. They got him placed. They put him up in a motel till they got him a spot. That is a hugh plus because these shelters are full to the brim!

Most shelters suck big time but your friend will be off the street. Harbor Light on the near west side is the only decent one I know of. Be aware that 90 days is usually the maximum stay. So every few months you'll be looking for a new location for him.

Our friend is not a druggie. He has an MBA from Harvard. Story too long to tell so I hope your friend is not too ashamed. Bad things do happen to very good people.

I wish him well and honor you for caring about a friends welfare.

Sumas

Post Number: 689
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Islandman, please don't be mean. Everyone has different circumstances. We supported the friend I mentioned for two years. It put a hugh strain on our finances. It also affected other relationships. We could not go anywhere or do anything without including him.

Sean is wise to not take on a burden that he can't handle. He is indeed being caring to try to assist a friend in need.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

South Oakland Shelter's office is in Royal Oak. It is a no nonsense 90 day program that offers counseling and job assistance. Clients are housed at a different church every week. Well fed and rested.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Islandman, I'm doing what I can. He has a job and kids in school out there. This isn't a couch crash situation. It's a "I paid to much for my house" situation.

Thanks for your help guys. Thames, thanks.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9380
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

South Oakland Shelter's office is in Royal Oak. It is a no nonsense 90 day program that offers counseling and job assistance. Clients are housed at a different church every week. Well fed and rested.

Bear in mind that to get into their program you CAN NOT drink or use any drugs whatsoever. There will be regular testing, and you must actively pursue a job. Not insinuating a thing, just putting that out there.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just messing with him, not trying to be mean. I did put a resource to try in my post.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 798
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has a job and kids? And he's moving them to a shelter? He should be finding a lower priced rental don't you think?

Sumas

Post Number: 693
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, we need more detail. Is this just for him or him and his family? Since he has a job, why a homeless shelter?

If it is just him, he should look into renting a room with house privileges. Lots of people are leasing out space cheap to help make ends meet.

A relative on disability couldn't make ends meet. We suggested he get a border. He did just that and it helps both parties.

Another example, a friend of ours shares his large 1909 eastside home. His rent used to be $350 but with this economy he dropped it to $250.

Where else can you live, all utilities included plus cable and internet for that price.Tell him to check Craigs list, I am sure he could find something on the westside like that at a bargain price. If it is a whole family then definitely call 211 or the Caputians.

Let us know how things work out. I hope as I type that he has found a suitable situation.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 803
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.hud.gov/local/index .cfm?state=mi&topic=homeless

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also try the Coalition on Temporary Shelter (COTS) on Peterboro. They may not have room in the shelter, but they also give out temporary housing vouchers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.