Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » 2008 Taxes Done Roll Call « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3861
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Done and in the mail. Earliest I've ever gotten it finished. (Refund coming, of course).

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9319
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Done! What's mail?

Ray1936

Post Number: 3862
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, I just don't trust E-file, JL. There's something about satisfaction seeing hard copy.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 667
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E-filed Sunday morning. :-)

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which is better, TaxCut or TurboTax?

Ray1936

Post Number: 3863
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used TurboTax and have no problem with it. Used it for about five years now, and all the necessary account numbers and all that are stored and automatically brought up. EZ to follow.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 674
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reviews look pretty even, with the nod going to TaxCut. I don't like H&R Block, so I went with TurboTax!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have so far completed nearly 70 returns this year, including my own (finally)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2163
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Which is better, TaxCut or TurboTax?

I've used TaxCut for all but one year out of the last dozen or so. I found TurboTax to be very similar and you probably can't go wrong with either one.

Nine years ago, I owed a considerable amount of money (just under the amount that would have incurred a penalty) so I waited until a couple of days before the April 15th deadline to file. I used TaxCut and I e-filed my return. I had the money automatically deducted from my checking account, making this my first attempt at a totally "paperless" return. The next day after I e-filed, I received an e-mail, a phone call and a FedEx package, all from TaxCut informing me that they had uncovered a "bug" in their software that had inadvertently shifted the automatic withdrawal decimal point three places to the left for all returns owing more that $999.99. This meant that the amount I had sent to the IRS was very much less than it should have been. The FedEx package contained everything I needed to fill out, plus an explanation letter that was to be included with the additional check I had to write.

I was upset about this and it took me several years before I tried the e-file process again. The following year I thought about switching back to TurboTax again, but a free TaxCut CD showed up in my mailbox before I had a chance to switch, so I stuck with them. In a way, it was good to know that they were able to notify me in a timely fashion so I could avoid a penalty for under-payment of taxes owed.

As a veteran procrastinator, I will probably start working on my 2008 taxes in about 7 or 8 weeks from now. Since that episode, I plan better so that my amounts due are small and I always e-file several days prior to the deadline, just in case.

(Message edited by Mikeg on February 04, 2009)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 890
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After getting a letter last Sept regarding my 2004 taxes from the State and a simular one from the feds in 2007. I am afraid to even look. I miss the file by phone deal.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazon put TaxCut on sale for $29.99. Made my decision easy.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 734
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been using TurboTax for a number of years now to do my personal and small business taxes. They have been anoying me the last couple years by upping their price by $10-$20 every year. I could do my taxes now, but I generally wait until late February when TurboTax usually goes on sale at Best Buy so I save $10-15. When I started, TurboTax was significantly better than TaxCut when dealing with small business taxes. Now the yare about the same, but since TurboTax can read in all of your personal information from previous tax returns, and keep track of amortized business deductions, I stick with TurboTax to save me considerable time when filing. If you're just doing personal taxes, go with whichever program is cheaper. They really both do the same thing.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another alternative is TaxAct. I've used TaxAct for a few years now with no problems. It costs as little as $0 for Federal, (free for Federal, $13 for State).

I'm not endorsing TaxAct or anything, just another option to look into if you wish to do your taxes for as little $$$ as possible.

I still send in paper copies as well. No e-filing for me. I want to rely on my computer as little as possible when it comes to banking, paying bills, etc.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3865
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, there's something about seeing the hard copy going into the mailbox that says "completion" that e-filing doesn't, Wally. But I do go the direct deposit route for my refund as it's quicker than getting a check (although I grant you e-file is quicker yet).

Mikeg....that's quite a horror story. Glad it worked out okay. Whew!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't do our taxes for 3-4 weeks, as some of the legislation passed last fall extended the time for brokers to send out statements. If I'm due a refund, then I've made some mistake along the way. I loathe giving the feds an interest free loan and always try to pay a little under what the final tax liability will be. We pay estimated taxes quarterly, and there's nothing writing like those checks to raise one's awareness of income taxes.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont even have all my info yet to do taxes.
As far as Turbo Tax, Mr. Daschle says it sucks.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As far as Turbo Tax, Mr. Daschle says it sucks.

That would be Mr. Geithner, the Treasury Secretary and head of the IRS, whose TurboTax software supposedly couldn't handle the circumstances of his IMF compensation.

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used TaxAct last year with success. This year I tried yesIcanefile.org as suggested on the Michigan.gov site. My return is not complicated. YMMV but it was straightforward and filed the first time. Free, too.

A friend used my computer to file with Turbid Tax and the free version was very cumbersome. It tried to stick her with paying for the state form, even though she wasn't filing state. And, it must have stuck cookies in my machine because it wouldn't run for my taxes, but it never said why.

Anyway, they're done!

Ray1936

Post Number: 3868
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Nother nice thing about living in Nevada is there is no state income tax.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got my refund today. Time to go do some shopping.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Block sent me a free copy of Tax Cut this year, but I couldn't get the registration process to work so I went out and bought TurboTax.

Couldn't get the e-file function in TurboTax to work so I had to print my returns and mail them.

I have used TurboTax for the last two years and Tax Cut for the two years before that. Neither one is perfect and may produce wrong results if you are not careful.

4oranges
Username: 4oranges

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>> so I went out and bought TurboTax.

Couldn't get the e-file function in TurboTax to work so I had to print my returns and mail them.<<<

just go online....www.turbotax.com and it walks you through everything, then e-files.

I have done mine this way for the last 4 years and in a couple of weeks *poof* the return is in my account. $$$ due any day now, and I can go stimulate the economy a little bit.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3738
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm that guy they interview at midnight at the mailbox, on April 15. The Government can pry that cash out of my cold dead hands.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.