Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » What to do on a Monday night?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 714
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok... Every so often we get a few folks from our out of town offices that come up here for a couple days and usually want to go out for a little entertainment after dinner. Problem being, 3 out of 5 times, that night out happens to be a Monday. Since Mondays in winter are about as lively as....., well they are so unlively I can't think of anything witty to compare them to. Soooo does anyone have any recomendations\suggestions for things to do on this cold wintery Monday night? We are looking at the Madison Heights, Royal Oak, Troy area preferably. The group generally consists of 20-40 year olds, guys\gals.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 928
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is there anything to do in those towns on any other night?

[i kid! i kid! j/k]

Raptor56

Post Number: 715
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Oak generally has something going on in the "downtown" area. there's decent people watching at the very least. During the summer you can atleast find something to do on a monday that involves more than just you and the bartender. not so much during the winter

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 929
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i really was just joking. but monday is typically the worst day to try and find something to do anywhere in the metro area.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snookers Pool & Pub on Woodward?

Main Art Theatre on Main?

Food (the great American pastime) on Big Beaver in Troy and Main Street in Royal Oak.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2886
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brew Pubs? WAB on Woodward in Ferndale, Bastone, Lily's and Royal Oak Brewery in Royal Oak, Copper Canyon in Southfield, Rochester Mills in Rochester, Dragonmead and Kuhnhehn in Warren (no food at these two), Black Lotus in Clawson.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could do what I do on Mondays... sit at the kitchen table in the dark, drinking whiskey and musing on life, with a loaded .38 in your hand.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 698
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whirlyball? Or you could pack on the Kevlar and head over to Fury13's place.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell 'em about how Detroit has a history of birthing great jazz musicians, and to honor that rich cultural legacy, you're all going to spend the evening sitting around listening to old recordings from the Blue Note Records archive.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8965
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy shit, Fury, you could at least make a game of it and take out four of those bullets.

Foran's is open for business on Monday nights, so is Eph's. People have been surprised to find a block in the city with some form of life.

The snow seems to have lowered a damper on things tonight!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor, depending on your crowd, a night of rockwall climbing might be good: PlanetRock in Pontiac.

You can google their contact info, but the place is very well run and safe. Of course your team would have to bring the correct clothing, but rockwall climbing certainly builds teamwork.

Or go bowling.

Don't listen to Fury... he's just shooting his mouth off.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I can assume that you're stroking the .38 and mumbling unintelligably, right Fury?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn straight, Bob.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I thought so. Because I have an uncle that does that, but he usually knocks off early on Monday nights. He has to get up early the next morning to read to the blind and deaf kids with cancer down at the hospital. Then he volunteers at the homeless shelter and when he gets home it just starts all over.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, that was really funny!

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

25-and-up roller skating after 10:30 PM at Northland roller rink! :-)

O.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Paddle Battle Ping Pong Monday nights 8pm at the Lager House. Paddles and balls provided. $1 drinks and a chance to win the coveted paddle battle championship belt.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9237
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warehouse hockey!

Raptor56

Post Number: 729
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ended up going to Dugan's Irish Pub for dinner (about 15 people in the joint), then headed back down woodward half a mile to Snookers for pool and darts. Had a good time. Probably do bowling next time. thanks for the input!

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahaha, John.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The WAB (Woodward Avenue Brewery) has half off (on food,not drinks)Monays. Would be economical....

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a space in Greektown up the stairs where the palm reader is that has a group of Jazz players that get together to preform. Great music in a lounge-y type atmosphere. I have only been up there in the winter months but I hear that during the summer the have a nice deck to chill out on. I highly recommend this place (not sure if it has a formal name.)

Oh... and one more thing, don't try to go there before 10 cause its not open before then.

Raptor56

Post Number: 738
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmmm Sounds interesting... Is it a bar or is it byob? how big is the crowd usually?

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has a full bar. The crowd is moderate, enough for everyone to have a seat.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.