Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Web designers, let me pick your brains! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently had a full-time newspaper editing job turned into a part-time contract position without benefits. I’m not optimistic about the future of the newspaper industry, so it’s time to look toward something else, just as I did in the 1990s when I got out of broadcasting and got a degree in public relations.

It’s a little late in life to go back and study nuclear physics, so I decided I might want to investigate Web design. That way I could create content, put it together and help run a Web site for someone or something. I feel like it might be a good supplement to the skills I already have.

But I need to know more about it.

So, Web design folks, could you help me out?

Where are the good programs to learn it? (I don’t think this is a DIY project for me.)

How long do they take?

How well were you prepared after the end of your program?

What do they cost?

And, the key question …

Is there a decent chance this sort of work won’t be outsourced to the Third World for the next 20 or so years, long enough so I can retire – the same way I hoped to retire from newspapers?

Thanks very much for your help.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey VD (first time you have ever heard that???, sure it is - ha), some school districts offer very reasonably priced web design courses in their adult ed curriculum. Depending on how computer friendly you are you may not need much training. check Wikipedia, they have some links to free online courses for HTML/XHTML. I took those about a year ago to do a mock-up web page for an old church Downtown that still does not have one. I was fairly proficient in HTML within a week by using the course. I even found links how to bring a web page online using various vendor services.

Here is one of the most helpful HTML links I found, http://www.w3schools.com/defau lt.asp. All of the web tutorials I studied recommended taking the HTML tutorials/courses first to familiarize yourself with the concepts before going on to the state of the art web design softwares such as Dreamweaver, which I think costs around $400.

For free photo hosting on the internet I created an account on www.webshots.com.

My church web page was a volunteer effort to maybe help them out. I was going to pay the web hosting fees for free. However, nobody on their staff is computer friendly and the web page was never reviewed. But for my purposes I learned a lot and was pleased that I could put a non-published web site together in less than a month.

My guess is you can do quite a bit of this from home without costing you anything, but you do have to understand computers fairly well to take the free online courses I will admit. They are not for individuals with little Windows experience, but most people with your type of employment history would likely be very experienced with Windows basics and text editors, FTP hosts, etc.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 996
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortunately, today anyone can produce creative internet content at little or no costs. It is very easy to learn basics quickly. The entry point, in terms of time and costs, is much lower today.

An experienced professional will easily have several thousand hours of experience dating back several years. New learners have it "easier" due to a continuous supply of tools making tasks easier.

Anyone with history in this area can describe publishing simple web content using an ASCII text editor and FTP. There was a certain amount of labor-intensive, time-consuming tasks. Today, many tasks are easily accomplished with wizards, drag-and-drop, templates, control panels, and more.

W3schools site is one of many invaluable resources. Fast path approach includes all of the "Teach yourself ... in 21 days" and "learn ... in one weekend" publications. A well-rounded professional will have aptitude that goes well beyond this.

Forums, User Groups and Special Interests Groups remain very valuable to the professional. Learn how people in the industry communicate, and participate. Creative, intelligent, and persistent people will find there is still room for innovation. In fact, we are counting on that very fact.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't doubt that those resources will work for many people.

I, however, have found that I learn better in a more traditional classroom/laboratory setting.

Where are the more traditional academic programs for this sort of stuff? That is what I am seeking.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 710
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most Community Colleges these days have web design\development classes. In many cases you can get an associates degree and\or Certifficate in realtively little time. You may also want to look into Microsoft Certification. MS Certified Professionals go through a rigurous curriculm to achieve various certifficate.

http://www.microsoft.com/learn ing/mcp/mcp/default.mspx

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Examples of traditional academic programs Raptor56 alluded to can be especially helpful for (older) adult learners. Eventually, most of us find non-traditional resources superior. For example, though on the decline in recent years, expensive guerilla camps teach complex technology in a lab environment. And Computer Based Training (CBT) is flexible.

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a tough industry... unless you're with a very highly regarded firm that is offering the complete package (design, branding, programming, promotion etc) you'll be competing with 16 year old kids (don't under estimate them, they're good and they're willing to work for next to nothing) and people in places like India, Syria and Pakistan.

It's tough and it won't pay well at first (if ever), so you better being doing it because it's what you truly enjoy doing.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

scripting is what you should be looking at. Java, Pearl.. stuff like that. Forget web design, or you will be looking for another career in a few years.

Also, Graphic Artist of the computer variety. If you have skills there, you can get tons of contract work.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out New Horizon's in Livonia.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5889
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone I work with is looking at Macomb Community College, and the programs to learn are Dreamweaver and Flash.

OCC also has a top notch advertising program.

I just might see you in class.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic, I read in Crains where you won an award for headline writing. Consider using that talent to write Google ads and learn the world of Google ad word advertising and result tracking with Google analytics -- all free and a service you can sell to businesses. Grab copy of A Guide to Google Adwords by Perry Marshall. You obviously already have the greatest talent that book writes about, the ability to briefly describe and excite attention and action.

I recommend anyone wanting to get into the web to not wait. Get a blog site with www.blogspot.com. It is as easy as one two three to set up and you can be live on the web in five minutes posting messages, pictures and interacting with readers, all for free.

I think it is important to get out there and start publishing right away. Learn only what you neeed to solve your immediate problems. Too many forget that "life is what happens when you are making plans and studying." This is more than true in the high speed ever-evolving web world.

Learn how to use and pin together the great free resources of the web, like blogger, flickr, youtube, facebook, google applications, wordpress... Once you get your feet wet it will give you direction and meaning and you will know exactly what you need to learn.

Trying to learn too much before you have created anything can be defeating. Go for it. Seize the day. Read this, run out, do it and post a link in ten minutes on this thread or your first site.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Lowell's suggestion and echo Detmsps' concern.... and if you have the gift for writing, USE IT! You've got a leg up and recognition you can then take to clients or future employer.

The SEM (Search Engine Marketing) field is becoming very pivotal and is growing. The great thing too is that you can land work from around the country, if not the world, if you play your cards right and therefor not be so dependent on our crap local economy.

It's also an online field where you can show your individual value and therefore better insulate yourself from being outsourced to cheap labor - because you're the one bringing in the dollars.

I wouldn't recommend everyone do SEM - it takes a talent, and from what Lowell says above, you probably have the raw bits to do it well.

You will want to get Google qualified - it seriously will help you land work - but focus, don't try to be everything to everyone - be the best at your niche.

Use Lowell's suggestions to reinforce that niche, too. Personally, since you're "new," I'd do the certification sooner than later if it's possible if you decide to do the SEM path.

Here's the link for the Adwords qualified individual...

https://adwords.google.com/sel ect/ProfessionalWelcome?hl=en

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 671
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question about Website creation too. Looking for something else, I stumbled on a listing of create your own websites free. What is the hitch if any? Even if the do it your self design is free is there a monthly cost to be posted on the web?

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, it is most likely okay. Most are 'freemium' sites [free but if you want premium goodies you buy them] where they give you the site and access to a sitebuilder interface. In all likelihood they will also populate them with ads, like myspace. You bring them eyeballs, they sell them.

There are lots of ways to get on the web for free. I think the above mentioned blogger www.blogspot.com is one of the best and easiest, and you won't get ad-smothered. With them you can be on the web in under five minutes.

Sumas

Post Number: 677
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the info.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 428
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a freelance web designer. One tip, once you get started and assemble a decent portfolio, concentrate on getting local businesses to let you put up a website for them. Even if you do it for free to help build your portfolio, or charge a reasonable amount to endear them to you as a long term client. YOu'd be surprised at the number of small businesses that still don't have websites at all.

In this economy, it could be a nice side income.

I know a few people who are doing this pretty steadily. I need to work on promoting myself more to get business but I've been so sidetracked with personal issues, but you can definitely make a nice little nest egg this way. Just do good work! Don't publish anything that YOU wouldn't find pleasing if you were a visitor or customer to their site.

Sumas

Post Number: 680
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know little about web design, there are do-it yourself sites out there. I just wondered if there are hidden costs. I plan to do a simple site for my landscape company. Mostly simple info and some pictures of my work.

Didn't know you did web design. When our book gets published we want to put up a really good site with lots of content. I'll pitch you to our president.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3598
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey also if one needs tips and ideas for web design you can always pick my brain. Chrissy when you get a chance shoot me an email gphigundergrad at gmail dot com

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 431
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I often need design advice myself, so I might post questions here too. I can always use another set of eyes!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.