Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Hey , Sean of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't stop posting. You are young and most importantly a seeker of knowledge. Enjoy life and don't let people get under your skin. I got insulted tonight, responded, then wondered why I wasted my time responding. Kind of stupid.

Enjoy the internet for what it is. Words don't convey emotions. People get misinterpreted all the time. I appreciate your comments. keep posting. I am not demonstrative by nature. But hugs sound in order. Ugh

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Sumas, for the lead-in...

Sean: I too thought about responding to your comments over in that Detroit thread as well, but decided against. This is a better place.

I agree that you shouldn't stop posting, but please don't generalize. Your Suburbia comment was uncalled for...and way too general!! I know many Suburbanites that do take their children into the city for more than just sporting events and concerts.

Sharing your views is great, but write about what you know, and don't presume to know what you haven't experienced firsthand. Thanks.

(Message edited by Kathleen on January 05, 2009)

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Bro, roll with it. That's the beauty of this board. It would be pretty boring if everybody felt the same way.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I'll be around. Maybe I'll see you at the forum picnic that is right around the corner.

Kathleen, I didn't mean to offend you. Consider that statement retracted... at least until I can explain better. It came across as a personal attack, or a "I'm better than you" post... but it really wasn't meant that way.

On most topics, I think everything I had to add to Lowell's Art Project, has been said; At least for awhile. If someone talks to much, they'll eventually lose their voice.

I'm sure I'll make my way back when Quicken makes their next big announcement.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I could go to the Ren Cen, but it's kind of out of the way.

quote:

I pick-up a cab at the Ren Cen cab stand and get to the Garden Bowl for under $5.00.

So which one is it?

When people invited you to go out downtown with them, you used the excuse that you didn't have a car. Then you start a post asking for an oil change place downtown (almost as if you cannot grasp the complexity of a phone book). I guess you're just a box full of contradiction.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go again, Cheddar wants me to explain my every move and statement to him. Yes, why would I ask for a good (AKA; Reputable) oil change mechanic. Why can't I trust trust the couple bucks they spend on ad space in the phone book?

Seriouslly?

Sigh...

Fiance's car (and shared). I was put in charge of oil change duty, and was looking for a place to leave it while I was out and about Downtown.

Again, it's good to know that you care so much about what I do Cheddar. I was wrong about you. You're clearly a Grade A egg-okay with me... :-)

Get it? Egg-okay sounds like A-okay. :-) I know, it's nothing compared to throwing bricks for a laugh, at other people's expense, but I like it. Cheddar, I would think you'd be glad I'm making myself scarce. Your definately smart enough to see the result of posts like the one above (and the one in the crossing thread). Why are you trying to get me to post more? Are you that desperate for fodder?

I'm sensing animosity in your words; "Almost as if you cannot grasp the complexities of a phone book". How on Earth did I ever manage to think you were a troll?

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on January 05, 2009)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, that's why.

I also need to be doing more listening.

PS: You guys were right. I shouldn't have been more than a name on here. I did not think in a million years that I would have people sending me strange e-mail, checking events to see if I showed up, defacing my wedding registries, e-mailing my social networks with lies, etc.. I feel like I'm famous, only I haven't actually done anything, and am not rich. It really is the most bizarre thing I have ever experienced. It's like riding the bus and having the guy behind you constantly poking you. It's also true that I totally blew off Open City at first, because some of the people who were attending. I don't have time for dramatic ridicule and banter.

You guys were definitely right. I can't even imagine what the other "real people" must be going through, and I have a whole new respect for Lowell.

I appreciate the supportive people on here, I really do. I just need a break. I don't have time for the little feuds, the talkers about how much outsiders aren't wanted, and the other drama queens. I'm hoping everyone else understands. I'm racing a clock, and I don't have the time for that garbage.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on January 05, 2009)

Sumas

Post Number: 533
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, one last set of comments and I'll let things rest. I am so sorry you have been harassed so. That type of behavior is entirely unacceptable. I grew up in the city, lived in the burbs for a bit and now am back in the city. You are not an outsider to me. Anyone who wishes to improve conditions or calls for understanding is ok by me.

A year or more back, I made a controversial statement, and had some forumers dogging me on every thread. I too, took a break. The nice thing is that idiots have short memories.

I read this forum daily, chalk it up to being unemployed and bored. So many truly witty people, I get a lot of laughs and I usually just scroll past the trolls.

Consider changing screen names, if you enjoy this forum, lots of people do, some have 3 or more personas. I have two names on this board but no clue how it came about, Suma and Sumas, it wasn't intentional.

If you are going into temporary retirement, we send all our best to you and your fiance and your urban experience. Detroit really does need new blood and new vision. Love, Sue and Ron

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2218
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I let no man drag me down so low as to make me hate him."

-Booker T. Washington

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriouslly though guys, just to clarify, I'm still around. I just am done voicing my opinions and thoughts, and don't have time to visit every week. That was what I meant when I posted that note to Lodgedodger and a few others.

I'm hoping on going to more physical events and the upcoming forum picnic. It's also time to start getting more done.

Change is a good thing.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on January 10, 2009)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 848
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok S.O.D. enjoy your retirement. I,ll keep posted if your posting.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note to self; some Detroiters are apparently unaware that there is a sign on our borders that reads "Welcome To Detroit".

Maybe they need to get out of the city a little more?

Oops... Blasphemy, I should know better!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who are you talking to?

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 641
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone on another thread who is calling him out for his involvement (or lack thereof) in city activities.

It probably should have gone on that thread.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got it

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pity party!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9228
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(pssst... just let it go.)

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, just try to tune out the ignorant people. Their opinion of you is irrelevant -- they don't even really know you. As they say, don't let them live in your head rent-free, you know? You have a lot of friends here, including me.

Whatever activities you do or don't do in the city, you are not obligated or required to do anything, and certainly you are not required or obligated to justify anything to anybody on this forum or the other. Don't let them get under your skin Sean.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to know what would stop them from talking behind our backs. I really would.

What did I ever do to them? Post on DYES?

Anyway, I got a better idea than not posting...

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on January 28, 2009)

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_detroit, please don't feel discouraged by those who choose to be rude; that's exactly the response they'd like.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9231
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are posting on a public forum. Therefore, you open yourself up for comment. You put pictures and personal information about yourself on public Web sites. Nobody is talking "behind your back" if you can clearly view what they are saying any time you please. Instead of just letting it go, you continue to be overly dramatic, putting a great deal of weight on what people you don't even know have to say about you. You post page long responses to one-sentence insinuations on multiple web pages, then take them down and apologize an hour later. The amount of energy you expend on the situation would lead one to believe you must in some way be enjoying the attention. Otherwise, common sense would dictate you just LET IT GO. Perhaps you have heard the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but in China they have a different saying, The bird who makes the most noise is the first to get shot.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry Sean, but I have to agree with Johnlodge. Just let it go. You know what you want to do and how you feel about the city, so just concentrate on that.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3029
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The nail that is sticking up is the one most likely to be hammered down.

Edit for correction of yet another "that/which" foul-up. Attention paid thanks to frustratingly accurate notation by frustratingly accurate Know-It-All in forum across the street. Son of a BITCH!

(Message edited by ravine on January 29, 2009)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about if Cheddar Bob and Sean of Detroit settle it one on one at a forum gathering? Belle Isle would be a good spot....

Sumas

Post Number: 647
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, I have two adult sons. It sounds like you fall between them in age. Stay naive and positive as long as you can. I and others enjoy your posts. I do not believe you are doing a pity party. I do think you are a little bewildered and I don't blame you. Enjoy your city experience and hope you stick around, we need new ideas in this tired old town.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3555
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Battle on the Belle.......

quote:

How about if Cheddar Bob and Sean of Detroit settle it one on one at a forum gathering? Belle Isle would be a good spot....

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2163
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, I tried to just be quiet. It's kind of been building up, you know? It doesn't stop when I do nothing. It's more of venting than attention seeking.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.