Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Fixing One of Downtown's Most Dangerous Intersections « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2200
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone else sick of attempting to dodge cars crossing Gratiot?

I am talking about Broadway and Gratiot.

Oddly, this is a somewhat popular link between Greektown/Monroe and Broadway/Harmony Park. A pedestrian connector to the new Paradise Valley Initiative, which is focusing around Harmony Park. There is no signal or crosswalk across Gratiot on the East Side of Broadway. Unfortunately, that intersection is extremely busy and wide. It's also a five street intersection, so you're never sure exactly what all the cars are always going to do. The lack of a crosswalk and crossing signal is apparently not stopping a number of people from crossing Gratiot, and ticketing them really is just going to discourage walking between these very actively growing districts.

So...

I'm young, and relatively new to this. What needs to be done to establish a crosswalk? Does it need to be presented to the council? How can I learn how to do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It would be nice to keep to many more ghost bikes out of our Downtown.

Thanks!

PS: I also have sent e-mails to friends and family around town, so if you don't have the time to respond, that is perfectly fine. Thanks for reading! I'm sure someone will respond.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Write to the City of Detroit Traffic Engineering Division.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Depar tments/DepartmentofPublicWorks /TrafficEngineering/tabid/465/ Default.aspx

Thee light on Woodward at Baltimore was too short. The City couldn't do anything as it was a Michigan "highway" but they contacted MDOT for me and it was taken care of within two weeks.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Lodgedodger!

BTW, thanks for all the positivity on here. I appreciate your posts. Lately everyone seems to be trying to trip me up... and it works to much of the time. I'm probably not going to be posting as much because of that, and the blog launch tomorrow, and the fact that I'm "back" now. I still appreciate all the positivity by you and several others though, and am still reading! Don't let anyone get to you on here. You're appreciated!

Just wanted to say that... *Hugs*

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lately everyone seems to be trying to trip me up.

Every wonder why that is, or do just think that everyone is trying to slight you?

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, just ignore them, okay?

I'm hoping the Traffic Division can help you. They were really helpful for me. I'd like to know how it works out, okay?

*hug*

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and thank you for your kind words.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Cheddar, I know exactly why that is. It's nice to know that you care so much about what I think and do though.

Lodgedodger, I'll keep you posted!

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on January 05, 2009)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2130
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a number of intersections in downtown where crossing is not permitted (the most obvious is in the Jefferson/Randolph/Windsor Tunnel intersection) because it is too dangerous. Maybe there just needs to be more signs that say not to cross there and suggest where people can safely cross.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually this is an MDOT controlled intersection. Both Gratiot and Randolph are under State Control while Broadway is under City Control. Broadway is not the problem here. I'd suggest contacting the regional office in Southfield on Nine Mile.

Interestingly enough this intersection was even worse prior to the building of the Peoplemover.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you too lazy to use the crosswalks to cross Broadway, then Gratiot and finally Randolph? Or go a couple of blocks east and cross gratiot at the light.

It's not going to kill you to walk a little extra to get to the final destination.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 901
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've sat on the porch at the well pondering this exact problem many a times. i always thought this location would lend itself well to a roundabout. kind of like campus martius. it would also make a great "terminus" to gratiot; you could put a fountain there with a small park...

it's become worse since they switched directions of macomb street. it used to be one way going east, no it's one way going west. except, when you approach the intersection, you can't see the light. people just have to "close their eyes and pray" when they proceed. i can't tell you the amount of near accidents i've seen from people coming off this street trying to go up broadway...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update:

I've been more than a little busy this week, but I sent e-mails or letters out to some other Michiganians who have done such things. They've all dealt with MDOT in similar situations, so I'm hoping they will give me a little input or tips, as well as there stories.

I've also talked with a few people who live, work, or own property in the area. There definitely seems to be a shared interest here.

PS: Toolbox, no way. I love walking the city. I often go out of my way and walk further, just to avoid that intersection.

It's more about what RSA said. Unfortunately, it appears people have already been hit, and that is a notorious accident corner. It also has to do with walk-ability and helping the retail and building owners in the area, as well as the Paradise Valley Initiative (which I'm not crazy about, but if our tax or grant funds are going towards it, then everything should be done as right as possible).

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to you, Sean. Hope you're successful in your efforts.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RSA and anyone else interested,

What do you think; Should we form some sort of group to look into it further?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 916
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd be happy to lend my design skills to a project. i don't really have a lot of free time to put together meetings, deal with government, etc. in other words, i'd be happy to help out where i can...

-RSA (rockstarchitect)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick Update;

I'm working on a report to show that this intersection is actually a problem.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 918
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I belive that a couple summers ago I had to play "Barry Sanders" at that crossing. Almost got killed going to Borders to buy the Denny McLain book I never finished.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6132
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, when I read the thread title, I somehow knew exactly which downtown "clusterfuck" you were talking about.

And Sean, as mean as other posters can be at times... take this advice...

"Always having a positive attitude may not solve all your problems... but it will piss off enough other posters to make it worth your while..." :-)

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 690
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Always having a positive attitude may not solve all your problems... but it will piss off enough other posters to make it worth your while..."

Which really doesn't help if you're looking for credibility...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6134
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, but they don't have to be mutually exclusive...

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm working on a report to show that this intersection is actually a problem.

Make sure you only use a blue or black crayon.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheddar Bob, that post is hall of fame material.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad my humor didn't go to waste.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2255
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheddar, dang it, I just did the whole thing in Purple crayon. Will you let me borrow one of yours from the Crayola Big Box? Nevermind, it must be my Harold like delusions for Detroit. Stupid dreams.... :-)

Gistok, thank you! By the grace of God I was reading one of my old retaliation posts while listening to the recent Conyers interview. Good grief, is that what I "sound" like? I think that may have scared me straight. I don't have everything figured out, but I definitely know I have to keep working on something.

Of course, I figured that out at 23, and am not the President of our City Council. It's scary that my current level of character without growth would be acceptable there (Just food for thought).

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I read that SOD was working on a report, this is what I thought of...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I think they figured it out the first time.

:-)

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 700
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least he didn't post this:

sean?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would have been funnierist.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2320
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update:

The Gratiot, Broadway, Randolph, Macomb intersection's traffic and pedestrian activity is now being investigated and monitored via camera boxes that were installed last week.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job in having the monitoring set up on such short notice.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.