Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Peking Pavilion - Chinese Restaurant pre-war years and after « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dhleong08
Username: Dhleong08

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi:
My Father's Father owned the Peking Pavilion restaurant on 14253 E. Jefferson Avenue, Detroit, Michigan in the 1920s and 30s. I am trying to find out more about this restaurant which was also renovated later and was near the Renaissance Centre on Jefferson Ave.

Did you or any of your relatives know my Father's Father or my Father during the World War II era? My Father is now in a home in Canada , was well known as an artist, neon signs, welder, mechanic and go-cart, motorcycle racer etc.

He served in the U.S. army from 1942-1946. His name is Ham S. Leong and he was with the 391st INF.

Dianne, his daughter in Canada who is interested in compiling family history and research for a novel.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dianne, the address on Jefferson is no where near the Renaissance Center ... it is well east of downtown almost in Gorsse Pointe Park.

It is my understanding that Chinatown in Detroit was concentrated along Third Street.

you can look here, seems NeilR remembers the place. https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/83010.html

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 597
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pekin Pavilion (Long Kim, Jim Louie) was in 1928 at 7437-39 East Jefferson. Looks as if it was an upstairs location, or not? from the Sanborn Maps.

Long Kim's residence was also in the same location.

(Message edited by townonenorth on December 31, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5288
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to a Peking Pavillion ashtray on sale on Ebay. It has the address and phone number of the restaurant Peking Pavillion Ashtray and here's the picture of it.

(Message edited by jcole on December 31, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 5289
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3044
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"EXCELLENT condition. NO damage. Says Peking Pavilion. 7437 E. Jefferson Ave. Detroit Mich. Foods To Take Out. Phone LO-8-9466. 4" w. YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!"

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3045
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) Jcole we seem to be of one mind.

Jcole

Post Number: 5292
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks that way. Isn't it cool, though?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 602
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice find! Old style Chinese Restaurant. Maybe she will buy it!

I used to frequent Ho-Ho's a lot when I was younger, Think it was on Second? Not sure. I saw a Ho Ho's listed on Vernor. I wonder if it was the same family that owned the original.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol that's Ho Ho Village on Vernor. It's not bad :-)

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job Jcole. Great find.

Jcole

Post Number: 5298
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Dj. Hope your New Year is a happy one, and you have luck with the Canadian girl.{wink}

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1928 Polk Detroit City Directory listing for Pekin Pavilion restaurant (see the far right column, located between Sheridan and Townsend Streets [modern map] [Hornwrecker's c.1930 map].

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, wasn't the White Sun the Chinese restaurant located on Jefferson pretty close to Grosse Pointe? I thought Pekin Pavilion was closer to downtown? A big, stand-alone building with a big parking lot?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the home address of what they say is Long Kim, should be the other way around?

Jcole

Post Number: 5321
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump again.

I remember the Pekin Pavilion on Jefferson between Sheridan and Townsend. We lived nearby and we'd go there a lot when I was a kid back in the '60s. My parents liked it because the place had a full bar and was famous for its whiskey sours and had pretty good old fashioned Cantonese-American food. It was very old and had beautiful booths fully enclosed in dark wood like one would have seen in 1920s restaurants. I remember that each booth had a number at the top of its arch.

It was torn down in the '70s to build the senior citizens apt. buildings that are there today. They built a new restaurant with a parking lot further down towards downtown at Jefferson and McDougall, where Pizza Papalis is now. That new Pekin Pavilion operated through the '80s.

The address cited by the original poster is at Lakewood and Jefferson. My cousins and grandparents lived within a block or two of there and I don't remember any Chinese restaurant there (although I do remember the bike shop!). However, as pointed out by Kathinozarks, there was the White Sun restaurant a couple of blocks to the east of there, which was a place very much like the Pekin Pavilion that my grandmother went to all the time. It was still operating as a carryout as of a couple of years ago.

Sure wish I had seen that Pekin Pavilion ashtray when it came up... I can still taste their almond chicken.

Dhleong08
Username: Dhleong08

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Eastsideal and jcole, mikeg and townonenorth:

Yes, you are right....Long Kim was my grandfather, but spelling is incorrect and he lived above the restaurant.

Eastsideal...thanks so much for your post. You have described the restaurant perfectly.

Thanks also for the maps.

I tried looking at the Detroit museum to find pictures...do you know of another archival site?

Thanks for your help.

D

(Message edited by dhleong08 on February 01, 2009)

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just telling my wife about Peking Pavillion. Man, that was the best Chinese food in the city.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.